[GRASS-user] grass-6.4.0RC5 configure problem

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Nov 5 19:26:16 EST 2009

   It's been several years since I've used GRASS, but I need to define a
drainage basin and do some hydrological modeling. So I grabbed the tarball,
along with all the pre- and co-requisites. The latter group built and
installed without problems on my Slackware-12.2 system.

   GRASS, however, is being difficult. I run ./configure with these options:

--with-postgres \
--with-sqlite \
--with-cairo \
--with-freetype \
--with-readline \
--with-gdal=/usr/bin/gdal-config \
--with-python=/usr/bin/python-config \
--with-wxwidgets=/usr/bin/wx-config \
--with-includes=/usr/include/ \
--with-libs=/usr/lib/ \
--with-zlib-includes=/usr/include/ \
--with-readline-includes=/usr/include/readline/ \
--with-readline-libs=/usr/lib/ \
--with-jpeg-includes=/usr/include/ \
--with-jpeg-libs=/usr/lib \
--with-tiff-includes=/usr/include/ \
--with-tiff-libs=/usr/lib/ \
--with-png-includes=/usr/include/ \
--with-png-libs=/usr/lib/ \
--with-postgres-includes=/usr/include/postgresql/server/ \
--with-postgres-libs=/usr/lib/postgresql/ \
--with-sqlite-includes=/usr/include \
--with-sqlite-libs=/usr/lib/

and the process fails with this error:

checking whether to use Readline... yes
checking for location of Readline includes... /usr/include/readline/
checking for readline/readline.h... yes
checking for readline/history.h... yes
checking for location of Readline library... /usr/lib/
checking for readline in -lreadline... no
configure: error: *** Unable to locate Readline library.

   I specified the DIRS as /usr/lib/ because that's where it's located:

[rshepard at salmo ~]$ locate libreadline
/usr/lib/libreadline.so.4
/usr/lib/libreadline.so.5
/usr/lib/libreadline.so
/usr/lib/libreadline.a
/usr/lib/libreadline.so.4.3
/usr/lib/libreadline.so.5.2

   Why can't configure find the libraries in /usr/lib?

TIA,

Rich