[GRASS-user] grass-6.4.0RC5 configure problem

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Nov 6 14:34:58 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Nov 2009, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>>  It's been several years since I've used GRASS, but I need to define a
>> drainage basin and do some hydrological modeling. So I grabbed the
>> tarball, along with all the pre- and co-requisites. The latter group built
>> and installed without problems on my Slackware-12.2 system.
>
>  I removed the old readline library and re-ran configure without
> specifying specific libraries and headers. The config.log shows symbol
> errors in libreadline:
>
> configure:7570: checking for location of Readline library
> configure:7595: checking for readline in -lreadline
> configure:7612: gcc -o conftest -g -O2    -I/usr/include/
> -Wl,--export-dynamic  -L/usr/lib/ conftest.c -lreadline   1>&5
> /usr/lib//libreadline.so: undefined reference to `PC'
> /usr/lib//libreadline.so: undefined reference to `Igetflag'
> /usr/lib//libreadline.so: undefined reference to `Igetent'
> /usr/lib//libreadline.so: undefined reference to `UP'
> /usr/lib//libreadline.so: undefined reference to `Iputs'
> /usr/lib//libreadline.so: undefined reference to `Igoto'
> /usr/lib//libreadline.so: undefined reference to `Igetnum'
> /usr/lib//libreadline.so: undefined reference to `BC'
> /usr/lib//libreadline.so: undefined reference to `Igetstr'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 7601 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
> /* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
> /* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
>    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
> char readline();
>
>  At some time in the distant past I had this happen with another build, but
> it's been much too long for me to remember how to fix the problem. Your
> continued advice is needed.

As Glynn mentioned, readline is only used by r[3].mapcalc *if*
used interactively. My suggestion is to not configure with readline
as I consider it a waste of time.
I use r[3].mapcalc on command line which provides all needed readline
support with the advantage that "history" remembers my commands.
In other cases, I store the command in a text file and run it from
there.

So, just a recommendation to not configure with readline support as
you gain almost nothing.

Markus