[GRASS-user] Stranges things after importing a shapefile

Felix Schalck felix.schalck at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 09:14:59 EST 2009

NOTICE: This is a second mail, sent because I didn't pay attention to
the size limit of this mailing list. I replaced the attached image by
imagehack links.

Hi all,

While still working on my huge map of Europe, I've noticed many
differences between the original shapefile and the grass vector layer
created after import. To visualize the problem, I took two
Screenshots:
-First one is from gqis 1.01, showing the raw
shapefile:
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4884/qgis.png
 -Second one from grass 6.4RC5, showing the imported vector
layer:
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8462/grassgis.png
Notice how many areas seem broken in the grass layer, and how
entire parts of large rivers (take the rhine, for an example) are
missing.

The initial shapefile was patched together (from a few hundred nasa
swbd tiles) using Markus Neteler's script (Thanks again Markus !), and
seem to produce good results, at least in Qgis. The import command I
used was: v.in.ogr -z -o dsn=/DATA/swbd/shp/tiles/coastlines.shp
output=coastlines I somehow had to override the projection, because
grass doesn't seem to recognize the projection of the shapefile -
although both are of the same WSG84 LAT/LON proj.

My question is: what went wrong ? Perhaps there is an import step I'm
missing, since once the 'clean' command finishes, I get an awful lot
of areas without a centroid; I don't know. But it would be nice, for
sure, if grass could just translate the shapefile, as it is, and allow
me to export a *complete* vector map to inkscape.

Thanks for your help,

Felix