[GRASS-user] Data Import and Coordinate Information

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Nov 14 18:42:18 EST 2009

   For my current project, almost all data come from the Oregon GIS office
(now called the Geographic Enterprise Office). All the data available for
download (.shp and .e00 primarily) are supposed to be in the state's own
coordinate system, "Oregon Conformal Conic." This is actually Lambert
Conformal Conic with specific bounds, parallels, etc.

   Since they're all supposed to have the same bounds and other parameters I
should be able to import them to the same location and map set. But I cannot
do this. If I tell the import wizard to use the existing coordinates it
tells me that they don't match what are in the file. So I have to import
each theme into a different location. My first question is what might be
causing this to happen? I'll reproject them all to a common location/map set
when I get them all in, but wonder why there's an issue.

   More importantly, when I look at the location/PERMANENT/DEFAULT_WIND and
WIND files I find the coordinates are far off what they should be, and what
I defined them to be in the GUI. For example, instead of North and South
bounds being 46.2N and 41.9N the files show them as 63N and 39N. Second
question: what might be happening here?

   In the meantime, I'll create new locations for all themes then read up on
how to reproject them so they're all recognized as using the same
coordinates and parameters and will overlay properly.

   As an aside, I don't see a menu item (under File, I suppose it should be)
to create a new location and map set for a new import. As a result, I exit
grass and restart it. That's too Microsoftish to be correct.

Rich