[GRASS-user] how to find peaks

Dylan Beaudette debeaudette at ucdavis.edu
Wed Nov 18 16:40:17 EST 2009

On Wednesday 18 November 2009, Michael Barton wrote:
> Beyond r.param.scale, is there a good method anyone knows of to find
> peaks or hilltops? I'm more interested in the tops of hills/high
> points than the single cell that is the highest.
>
> Thanks
> Michael

Hi,

The r.param.scale uses some common cuttoffs for curvatures to define features.
A geomorphic classification may accomplish what you are looking for, i.e.
generate some training areas that define 'summits', through in several
terrain-shape indices, and then run a supervised classification. Unsupervised
classification can sometimes work well for this kind of task, however it is
data-driven and results can vary from location to location.

Cheers,
Dylan

> ____________________
> C. Michael Barton
> Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
> Professor of Anthropology, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
> Arizona State University
>
> Phone: 480-965-6262
> Fax: 480-965-7671
> www: www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton, http://csdc.asu.edu