[GRASS-user] how to find peaks

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 20:03:04 EST 2009

Well, it's not as straight forward as that. The preservation areas are
more for land cover changes and such. There is a specific part in the
legislation which states that "activities with no locational
alternatives" like mining, can occur in hill tops. There is also a
part about watershed divides (only big formations, not small divides)

The legislation is a bit complicated and filled with controversy!
After all, how do you find the hill / mountain bottom in order to
calculate the top 1/3? The environmental agencies wants the botton to
be as low as possible. The agriculture / forestry lobby wants to push
it up (they always talk about the first saddle point...). Furthermore,
the law defines what are mountains and hills. But that is not a
consensus also...  That's one of the many reasons why the entire
brazilian environmental legislation is under "attack" (ops, I should
say revision)...

This is a very complicated issue that I, somehow, got involved in. But
once it became too political, I moved away from the discussions. But
if you are curious about it, fell free to ask

Cheers
Daniel