[GRASS-user] how to find peaks

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Nov 18 23:12:26 EST 2009

Thanks or all the suggestions. We will be trying these out. In the
meantime, I had a few minutes this evening and was messing around with
r.param.scale. I discovered that the minic option does a pretty good
job of identifying peaks too (minimum curvature perpendicular to
direction of maximum curvature). It also does a good job of finding
valleys. Here are a couple of screenshots of the following settings
applied to the Spearfish 30m DEM

r.param.scale -c --overwrite input=elevation.dem at PERMANENT
output=aaa_rparamscaletest size=31 param=minic

http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/temp/peaks.png (only values
above 0.0002 are shown)
http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/temp/peaks_nviz.jpg (I have
no idea what is causing the weird linear holes at the top and bottom
of the output map)

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University