[GRASS-user] least cost path analysis question

Maxime Phaneuf maxime.phaneuf at usherbrooke.ca
Thu Nov 19 09:07:35 EST 2009

Hi guys.

I want to use r.walk or r.cost, followed by r.drain to create least cost
paths. I've got no problem doing that with only 1 starting point and 1
stopping point.

My problem is when I try to use multiple starting and stopping points. I saw
that the coordinate and stop_coordinate were MULTIPLE=yes. But I don't
really know I to declare each point.

Let's say I've got those 4 points: pts1, pts2. pts3, pts4. I want to create
a path going from pts1 to pts2, pts2 to pts3, pts3 to pts4, and pts4 to
pts1.

I've tried this:
r.walk -k elevation=dem friction=cost output=output
coordinate=pts1,pts2,pts3,pts4 stop_coordinate= pts2,pts3,pts4,pts1
and a lot of other rearrangement of the coordinate and stop_coordinate
parameters, without much success.
I'm trying some configuration where pts4 does go back to pts1 and some where
pts4 doesn't go back to pts1.

Does someone know how to configure r.walk, r.cost and r.drain to include
multiple coordinates?

Thanks,
Maxime Phaneuf