[GRASS-user] GRASS6.4 in Linux

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Nov 19 15:12:37 EST 2009

Luis Lisboa wrote:

> I want to install GRASS in a LINUX machine where I will develop a few
> scripts and functions (in C).
> According to http://grass.itc.it/download/index.php if I want to develop I
> should download source code and compile
>
> Can I just install a binary, develop my functions/scripts and compile those
> to the compiled version?

You can, although it takes a bit more effort. You will either need to
ensure that you pass the correct compilation and linking switches for
the installed version, or (if you want to use the installed *.make
files to do this), you'll need to override some variables (the
installed Grass.make and Platform.make files typically contain
references to the build directory).

This aspect is a bit simpler in 7.0, as the build system has been
cleaned up somewhat.