[GRASS-user] Sites/Points File Input

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Nov 20 17:06:53 EST 2009

   There have apparently been changes from version 5.x to 6.4 in how point
data are entered. No longer are there the 's.' functions (e.g., s.in.ascii),
so we use the v.in.ascii function now. The man page lays out the options,
but I would like a reality check on the input data format I created using
the book (2nd ed) as a guide (pages 80-81):

cat|longitude|latitude|name
1|122:30:32.43W|45:19:19.49N|@"Lockie property"
2|122:30:17.92W|45:18:52.45N|@"Mompano Dam spillway"
3|122:29:34.08W|45:18:47.16N|@"OR-CC-8"

   If this format is still valid, I propose the following command:

v.in.ascii -b input="sites.txt" output="keyPts" format="point" skip=1 \
columns='cat int, x double, y double, name varchar(20)' x=1 y=2 cat=0

   I don't have a region yet defined; I should get this figured out first.
But I still need to get the correct data file format and command line
syntax.

Rich