[GRASS-user] Piping Commands

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Nov 23 16:04:18 EST 2009

I would consider it best practice to run 2 commands in sequence, storing
the intermediate product. It can save you a lot of time, help
troubleshoot data errors, make it easier to repeat your steps. You also
won't have to repeat step one if something goes wrong in step two.

An example
v.somecommand out=step1
v.anothercommand in=step1 out=step2

These can easily be turned into a script, and the layer names can be
variable derived if you want to loop through several places doing the
same process.

Alex