[GRASS-user] Defining location/mapset

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Nov 28 03:51:07 EST 2009

Hi Luis,

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Luis Lisboa <luislisboa1975 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello people
> I'm planning to use GRASS but I have one question about location/mapset
> organization.
> I'm going to do some classification and image processing for a certain
> region of Spain at 3 different levels: local, regional and national. This
> different scales have different scale definition with higher scale
> definition for local and lower for national (1:1000000). I will use
> different satellite images for different scales but some vectorial (e.g.
> roads) will be used for all three scales. National scale includes all
> country, regional only a certain region and local (a specific and very small
> area).
> According to GRASS database and common structure I will store my data at a
> GISDBASE.

Yes.

> Within this directory, GRASS GIS data are organized by projects.

Right (project = "location").

> Since its location is defined by its coordinate system, map projection and
> geographic boundaries my question is: Should I have a different location for
> each scale? I would say so, right? If that is the case, I would define
> mapsets as different data sources or produced maps.

If the coordinate system/map projection is the same  I would create
one location and have inside one or several mapsets.
That's all. To use different locations in this case would overly complicate
things.

Markus

PS: see also the drawing in
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/helptext.html