[GRASS-user] Installing Addon without source tree?

Horacio Samaniego horacio.samaniego at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 12:21:43 EDT 2009

this might be a question for more advanced users or even developers.

Is there a way to clarify what the equivalent of the grass_src would be
if you´ve just installed the grass-dev?

grass-dev provides the following dir tree:

/usr/lib/grass64 $ ls
bin/  bwidget/  docs/  driver/  etc/  fonts/  include/  lib/ scripts/

with no raster catalog, bins are in bin/

A user would run into this issue if attempting to install an addon.

For example, the great module developed by Jarek Jasiewicz
(http://heretic.livenet.pl/heretic/)

Off course, in my ignorance, I could try to go ahead and
create /usr/lib/grass64/raster , place a directory with the contents of
the addon in it and run make, bu I still get errors on compilation.

The question is then, how should we setup the MODULE_TOPDIR variable
from within the Makefile, if we do not want to install the whole
grass_src tree? I have chosen to just keep the grass-dev package
provided by my distro (ubuntu 9.04) as suggested in the wiki
(http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#Addons).

any extra hint for beginners like me? any help will be added to the wiki
once it's solved.

thanks!!

Horacio