[GRASS-user] New modules in add-ons: v.in.geoplot, r.xtent + r.burn.frict

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 1 13:52:13 EDT 2009

Hamish wrote:
> > by AA, do you mean like a 0 floor and 255 ceiling and
> > depending on how much vector line in the cell the output
> > raster value is somewhere in between (with length of cell
> > diagonal == *1.0 ), or is it still binary null || line_value
> > but in a more smeary way than normal?
Ben:
> I think suggestion #1 should be implemented in v.to.rast
> anyway, as it would be a functional improvement for many use
> cases where attribute values from vectors are to be
> transferred to a raster with DCELL/FCELL type cells.
>
> Your second suggestion would be an alternative, additional
> method with its own uses. Easily implemented, I imagine,
> by letting the user control the threshold (% of cell area
> crossed by line) above which a cell should be set to "1"
> (or whatever).

file a wish for anything which would be useful for you, otherwise
it will likely to be forgotten.

> In my scenario, a pixel should be placed, whenever the %
> crossed area > 0.0.

isn't this just the type=line or type=boundry/with category
method described in the v.to.rast help page?

> The value to place could be the line value or an average
> of neighbouring cells. Both may have applications.

use r.neighbors, then overlay 0/1 from line digitization as MASK?
(avoid duplication/complication in modules, they can be mashed
together in shell scripts to look like one module if needed)
?

Hamish