[GRASS-user] Configure failing to find freetype

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Oct 2 22:24:16 EDT 2009

Seth Price wrote:

> Hey all, I'm on a Mac and I'm trying to compile GRASS 7 so I can link to
> its libraries. I have freetype installed, but GRASS isn't having any of
> it. Appended is a sample.
>
> Am I doing anything wrong? I know I can download the frameworks, but I was
> hoping to get this all installed and working without a 3rd party compiling
> it for me. Besides, it *should* work.

> seth:grass-7.0.svn_src_snapshot_2009_09_26 sprice$ ./configure
> --with-freetype --with-freetype-includes=/usr/local/include

> checking whether to use FreeType... yes
> checking for location of FreeType includes... /usr/local/include
> checking for ft2build.h... no
> configure: error: *** Unable to locate FreeType includes.

FreeType headers are normally installed in a subdirectory named
"freetype2", so you typically need something like:

	--with-freetype-includes=/usr/local/include/freetype2

The specified directory should contain a single subdirectory named
"freetype", with the actual headers within that directory.

PostgreSQL, MySQL and FFMPEG require similar treatment, but most other
packages don't need a --with-<package>-includes= option.