[GRASS-user] Bug or feature? v.net.alloc

achim ak7 at jupiter.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Oct 6 06:28:49 EDT 2009

Hi,

there are three levels you have to think of:
first level: geometry; every geometry element has an id number
second level: category; category numbers can point to one or many
geometry ids
third level: database; in tables feature information is stored; every
geometry(group) with a category can be addressed by the same (unique)
numbers in a table with column 'cat'

Its not enough just to make new categories. You have to create the table
with:

db.droptable -f table=yourtable ##if already one exists

v.db.connect -d map=yourtablesmap ##if you want to delete old connections

v.db.addtable map=yourtablesmap ##automatically columns="cat INTEGER"
will be ran and each category of the map gets an entry; default is
layer=1, so categories for layer one will be made; the tables name will
be "yourtablesmap"; for layer=2 "yourtablesmap_2"...

Greets,
Achim

PS:
little script to renew categories

--%<--

## INPUT:
##  $1 vector map with changed features
##  $2 layer of changed features
##  $3 type of features to change (line,point,boundary,...)

v.category input=$1       output=$1_nocat option=del  type=$3
layer=$2 --o
v.category input=$1_nocat output=$1                  type=$3 layer=$2 --o

--%<--