[GRASS-user] Questions about GRASS license and other more restrictive licenses

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 14 05:50:23 EDT 2009

Maris wrote:
> Sorry for interupting but does GPL applays also to (not linked) shell
> scripts? If they don't use any GPLed parts in them and only
> call GRASS modules, then IMHO they can ship non-GPL scripts with GPL
> software.

That is what the LGPL exists for...

> Requirement to provide GPLed part source on request still
> applays.

In our case GRASS shell scripts use g.parser, and so GPL code becomes
part of the resulting program.

The independence/derivative product test is if the bundled program would
still fully function if the GPL things were removed.

If you bundle dependent code with GPL and ship it, the entire thing must
be GPL compatible. If you bundle non-dependent code with GPL code and
ship it, then the operating-system clause applies which says it's ok.

Hamish