[GRASS-user] Export Raster to Google Earth Files

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 16 23:36:11 EDT 2009

Roger André wrote:
> The easiest way to do this for 1 or 2 reasonably sized rasters
> is to simply write a very short KML file that points to the
> image name and defines its geographic extents.  If you have to
> do it for hundreds of files, then scripting it is much
> faster.
> Here is what the KML should look like:
>
> <GroundOverlay>
> <description>Something pithy</description>
> <name>Something else pithy</name>
> <visibility>1</visibility>
> <open>1</open>
> <Icon>
> <href>"name_of_image_file"</href>
> </Icon>
> <drawOrder>0</drawOrder>
> <LatLonBox>
> <north>  DD.dddd</north>
> <south>  DD.dddd</south>
> <west> DD.dddd</west>
> <east> DD.dddd</east>
> </LatLonBox>
> </GroundOverlay>

based on this template I've added a r.out.kml script in addons
SVN to do that.

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass-addons/raster/r.out.kml

TODO:
 - completely untested
 - g.region -n is broken in at least devbr6 (trac #791) so
   export only works from LL/WGS84 right now
 - pythonization
 - add a -k flag to d.out.file to write a KML file (test true north angle(s)!)

comments/testing/suggestions welcome.

Hamish