[GRASS-user] installing addon problem for regular users (ubuntu newbies)

Horacio Samaniego horacio.samaniego at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 10:12:30 EDT 2009

Dear Nathan,

I discovered that the origin of the problem seem to be that the grass
package in ubuntu is not compiled using 64bit libs and that to my
understanding it's what's giving us problems. I concluded that by the nature
of the error I was getting. So., I kind of went the long way... I repackaged
grass for my architecture using:

sudo apt-get source grass # downloads the source tree in current dir
cd grass*
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot # will generate all the -dev -doc packages.
best to use sudo?
sudo dpkg -i ../*grass*deb # will install everything

Once you've gone through that, you can simply install addons the normel way.
Which is:

download addon to /usr/lib/grass64/ raster or vector (depending on the type
of addon) and make, make compile

that solved the problem and created a real 64bit grass package along the
way. The key seem to be that the installation of the -dev package provides
all the libraries to install new addon. The problem arises when you simply
install grass from the repository which is NOT 64bit!! but nonetheless
functional.

I hope that this will help!

I'll post this solution to the wiki if nobody objects my assessment of this
particular issue. So, please, comment on it if you have a deeper
understanding of this than we have...

Cheers,

--
Horacio Samaniego, PhD