[GRASS-user] 2 r.neighbors questions

Hermann Peifer peifer at gmx.eu
Wed Oct 28 15:18:24 EDT 2009

Hi,

I started using r.neighbors and came across the following issues:

I have a CELL type input raster and calculate weighted sums. The weights are float, so the calculation result should be float, but r.neighbors output raster is again CELL type with truncated integers.

How do I get to rounded integers? Do I see this right: that I have to change the input raster to float type (multiply with 1.0?). This will trigger float type values in r.neighbors' output raster, which I could eventually round() to integer. Is this the best way to do it, or am I overlooking a convenient switch or something?

Another question is what exactly is the reason behind the recommendation in r.neighbors documentation:
> for method=sum, the sum of the weights should be 1

Thanks in advance, Hermann