[GRASS-user] r.colors generates different colors than QGIS plugin when same rules used?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 1 04:44:31 EDT 2009

> Is the issue just that QGIS has greater color depth than GRASS d.rast
> or the PNG driver?  That's what these look like.  Is there a way to
> get greater color depth in GRASS?

very wild guess: is the ForestChange map floating point? (does r.info
say CELL or FCELL/DCELL?)

if FCELL or DCELL try to convert it to CELL with
  r.mapcalc "ForestChange.int = round(ForestChange)"
  r.colors ...

and see if it looks better.

or if the other way,
  r.mapcalc ForestChange.float = ForestChange * 1.0"
  r.colors ...

but I seem to recall that FCELL/DCELL was the one that did downsampling
and you got smoother gradients with CELL maps.

?
Hamish

ps- nice to see that qgis gives you more coloring options these days,
can it load GRASS color tables and GMT .cpt files directly?