[GRASS-user] display image (photo / jpeg) with PNG driver (i.e. add logo to map).

Tim Holland timothyholland at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 22:32:39 EDT 2009

Glynn Clements wrote:

> Tim Holland wrote:
>
>> I would like to add a logo to a map that I am printing with the PNG
>> driver.
>> It is a .jpg, although I could switch it to another image type if that
>> was
>> helpful.  Is there any way to do that?
>
> Import it as 3 raster maps (red, green, and blue channels) with
> r.in.gdal, move the maps to the correct size and location with
> r.region, then display them with d.rgb.

Thank you for the instructions.  I am getting an error message with
r.in.gdal, though:
>WARNING: G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for North

At present, the file I have is not georeferenced at all - it is just a
normal jpeg.  To experiment I tried changing it to a tiff and importing, but
same problem.  Do I need to somehow define the region of the image before
importing?

Also, I was not sure how to import as separate r,g,b maps.  Is that just a
matter of having band=1, band=2, band=3 in three iterations of r.in.gdal?  I
tried to experiment with that a bit, but was still having the 'illegal north
latitude' problem so didn't get anywhere.

Thanks again for the help.

Tim