[GRASS-user] trouble using .ttf fonts with d.font

Tim Holland timothyholland at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 23:07:02 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I am having some trouble with d.font and getting it to use fonts other than
the default options that are mentioned in the d.font manual
http://grass.itc.it/grass64/manuals/html64_user/d.font.html
http://grass.itc.it/grass64/manuals/html64_user/d.font.html .

What I have tried:
>d.font font=romant   #or other default font - italicc, gothgbt, etc
this works fine, but the font selection is a bit limited.  So I wanted to
try using other fonts from the library.

>d.font font=Tahoma   #or Arial, Verdana, other options that are mentioned
in /Users/usr/Library/GRASS/6.4/Modules/etc/fontcap
this returns a long string of error messages:
>The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation functionality
safely. You MUST exec().
>Break on
__THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__()
to debug.
>The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation functionality
safely. You MUST exec().
>Break on
__THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__()
to debug.
>ERROR eof from graphics driver.

I also tried calling the fonts using the path to the ttf file in the main
computer font library
>d.font font=/Users/usr/Library/Fonts/Tahoma.ttf   #alternately, d.font
path=/Users/.../Tahoma.ttf, but same result
This returned the following error:
>ERROR: Font name </Users/usr/Library/Fonts/Tahoma.ttf> is invalid. Check
font name or
       consider running 'g.mkfontcap'
But it is the correct path to the ttf file.  I did also try running
g.mkfontcap, but that did not seem to change anything.
Also, everything I tried with "d.font" I also tried with "d.font.freetype",
but returned same results.