[GRASS-user] errors in nviz

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Sep 3 17:11:30 EDT 2009

P Kishor wrote:

> so, I finally was able to run make without-readline. After a lot of
> huffing and puffing, make went into an almost endless loop with head
> like so
>
> -------
> Generating HTML manual pages index (help system)...
> Unknown option: n
> Usage: head [-options] <url>...
>     -m <method>   use method for the request (default is 'HEAD')
>     -f            make request even if head believes method is illegal

The build system requires that you have certain standard utility
programs available. One of these programs is "head" which outputs the
first N lines of a given file.

You appear to have a different program named "head" in your executable
search path. You need to change the value of the PATH environment
variable so that the standard "head" utility is found.

This error will probably result in the HTML index pages not being
built. The pages for the individual commands should still exist, but
there may not be index pages for GRASS itself and/or the various
categories (raster, vector, display, etc).

> It spat out the above message what seems like a few hundred times and
> then ended with
>
> Generated HTML docs in ../dist.i386-apple-darwin9.8.0/docs/html/index.html
> Following modules are missing the 'description.html' file in src code:
> GRASS GIS compilation log
> -------------------------
> Started compilation: Thu Sep  3 15:14:12 CDT 2009
> --
> Errors in:
> /Users/punkish/Projects/grass-6.4.0RC5/visualization/nviz

> So, seems like make failed in nviz.

Yes. However, that is unrelated to the error messages regarding
"head".

> Any suggestions other than what is suggested above... to go to the
> nviz directory and run make there?

Any suggestions will be based upon the error messages which are
generated when you follow the above advice.