[GRASS-user] Multiple attribute tables in winGRASS 6.4

Sharon M morrisxs09 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 02:54:45 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'm hoping the general GRASS mailing list community can help me.

I'm using winGRASS 6.4 (r38875) on windows XP and using DBF files
(oracle and ODBC is not currently supported in winGRASS).

I'm able to connect an additional attribute table containing
alternative names to a vector map. The cat columns in layer 1 and
layer 2 are the same (numbers 1-25). e.g.

> v.db.connect map=locn layer=2 key=cat table=locn_tbl2

If I bring up the attribute window manager, I can see the new table is
in layer 2.

> v.info    reports that there are 2 db links.

> v.info -c map=locn layer=2   reports list of columns in layer 2

However, commands such as v.label, d.vect.thematic, d.vect, v.extract,
etc are unable to access layer 2. Also, if using the windows which
pop-up (instead of the command line) for any of these commands, you
cannot change the layer option from "1" to "2" (or any other layer
value).

example output...
> v.label labels=alt_nme map=locn col=othnme layer=2
gives error...  "Sorry, <col=> is ambiguous"

Does anyone have any ideas as to whether multiple layers works in winGRASS?

Thanks in advance,

Sharon