[GRASS-user] problem importing .adf format with r.in.gdal

Tim Holland timothyholland at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 06:38:42 EDT 2009

Hello all,

I am having some trouble importing Arc/Info Grid files into GRASS using
r.in.gdal.  I am on GRASS 6.4 on MacOS 10.5.

The data I am trying to use is estimates of global carbon density, which is
found here.
http://cdiac.ornl.gov/ftp/global_carbon/datasets.zip

The data exists at three spatial resolutions: 1km x 1km; 5minute x 5minute;
and 10minute x 10minute.  I want to import and use the highest (1km x 1km)
resolution.  The (odd?) thing is, I have successfully imported the 5minute x
5minute data, but I cannot get the 1km x 1km.

I have used r.in.gdal
>r.in.gdal input=/Users/usr/datasets/c_5m/hdr.adf output=IPCC_Carbon_5min
--o -o
It imports successfully, and
>r.univar IPCC_Carbon_5min
returns

total null and non-null cells: 500000
total null cells: 326493

Of the non-null cells:
----------------------
n: 173507
minimum: 0
maximum: 372.142
range: 372.142
mean: 20.5885
mean of absolute values: 20.5885
standard deviation: 41.6786
variance: 1737.1
variation coefficient: 202.437 %
sum: 3572242.931286566

But when I try exactly the same code with the higher resolution version,
>r.in.gdal input=/Users/usr/datasets/c_1km/hdr.adf output=IPCC_Carbon_1km
--o -o
I get
WARNING: G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for North
and it will not import.

I tried using gdal_translate because that fixed a problem I had before with
'illegal latitude for north'
>gdal_translate -of GTiff -a_ullr 180W 90N 180E 90S
src_dataset=/Users/timholland/c_1km/hdr.adf dst_dataset=IPCC_Carbon_1km
But I get the message
ERROR 4: `src_dataset=/Users/timholland/c_1km/hdr.adf' does not exist in the
file system,
and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.

Also, everything I have tried with the hdr.adf file in the directory (as
shown in the above), I have also tried with the w100100.adf file, with the
same results (the 5minute resolution file works, the 1km resolution one does
not).

Thanks very much for any help.

Best,
Tim