[GRASS-user] Krige surfaces in grass 6.4

kgb me at burlinson.id.au
Thu Sep 10 03:47:23 EDT 2009

Hamish & list readers
Thanks for your help with krige options for grass.
I will try v.autokrige.py from the svn
Other responses to your comments are below:

Hamish wrote:
> kgb wrote:
>> I am unable to get any of the 3 krige routines I know of to
>> work with grass 6.4.

>> v.autokrige.py ...
>
> fixed in svn.
THANKS!

>> wxPython does not compile on my system and complains about
>> missing classes - which I am unable to resolve.
>
> what system is it? is there a thread about that already with details?

I am using SUSE linux 10.3 x86_64. (AMD CPU). I have installed wxWidgets gtk2 libraries Ok
But I have given up on this (for now) and hope v.autokrige.py bypasses these problems.

>> V.krige.py, although considered deprecated, nearly works,
> says who? as far as I know this is the latest-greatest hot off the
> presses version.
SORRY - it is not deprecated as previously advised. My mistake :-(

>> but requires gstat built with grass support, and that requires
>> libgis.a  But this has apparently disappeared since grass 6.0.
>
> it has been renamed libgrass_gis.a in order to be less generic.
>
>> Despite having an old libgis.a available, it fails to build cleanly -
>> I suspect because libgis.a is an ancient and mismatched version.
>
> yeah, don't mix and match in old versions. everything will be out of
> alignment and it just won't work. Instead try to make a symlink alias to
> the old name from the new name. Better yet search and replace the
> library name in the gstat source code to be the new name.

Thanks - now I know where that library went!
I made a symlink to the libgrass_gis.so from libgis.a to try and fool the gstat build.
But gstat actually references functions inside the library - and these have changed name,
so gstat still will not build. Note - I have only built shared, not static libraries.
gstat fails with:
/utils.c:869: undefined reference to `G_gisinit
In the new grass libs, there is no external symbol of that name - it is in fact called
G__gisinit instead! (note the double underscore instead of single)
Is the double underscore a convention for shared library functions versus static?
So will gstat ONLY compile against a static build of grass? Is that intentional?
 (yes, I realise that much of this is perhaps a gstat problem, not grass ...)

Thanks
Kingsley