[GRASS-user] Re: Exporting attributes to GMT ASCII format using v.out.ogr

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Tue Sep 22 03:54:09 EDT 2009

IMHO choosing line/boundary as a default for ANY map
(i.e. even one that has no such geometries) is a bug,
not useful default behaviour.

So I would expect any scripts that use v.out.ogr in earnest
to be setting the type= option explicitly, anyhow.

The problem reported earlier with exporting areas
to GMT format seems to me to illustrate this.
The relationship between lines, boundaries and areas
can be very confusing, especially when data export/import
is concerned.

Actually, I would like to improve the area export logics
so that problems like Eric experienced will get more rare
in the future.

Anyhow, if there is a consensus that the old default
behaviour needs to stay, I will change the automatic
export type determination to only run on user demand,
via a flag.

Cheers,

Ben