[GRASS-user] How to crop away NODATA margins

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 26 04:31:39 EDT 2009

Hermann wrote:
> I see that d.out.file has a switch: -m  (Do NOT crop
> away margins). So I assume that by default, white margins
> are auto-cropped.

IIRC it depends on the output type.
I can't remember how many methods I exteneded that to.

> What I am  looking for is some sort of auto-crop
> feature which I could use with r.out.gdal, in order to get
> rid of abundant NODATA margins in raster layers.

g.region rast=your_map
g.region zoom=your_map
r.out.gdal ...

d.out.file is just a shell script, you can look in it for
the commands used to figure out the cropping. (I expect d.info
and g.region)

> What I am currently doing: I identify a raster layer's data
> extent visually before changing the region and then running
> r.out.gdal. However, I might miss some islands at the
> edges...

try 'g.region zoom='

Hamish