[GRASS-user] New modules in add-ons: v.in.geoplot, r.xtent + r.burn.frict

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Mon Sep 28 16:23:17 EDT 2009

The two are made for very different but equally specific purposes:

r.carve actually "carves" rivers into a DEM, subtracting their depths
from the DEM.

r.burn.frict does essentially the same job as v.to.rast would, except
it performs some anti-aliasing on line edges, so there is no case like
this:

   0100
   0010
   0001

where a cost surface algorithm that scans for 8 directions could
"slip" diagonally through the cells that represent a boundary line.
Instead, the line would be rasterized like this:

   0100
   0110
   0011

This is (only?) useful for rasterizing lines onto friction surfaces.
It's really just a primitive little script that I wrote because I needed
it for territorial modeling with r.xtent which involves cost surfaces.

Ben

--
Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeological Unit Limited
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES