[GRASS-user] 'v.surf.rst' VS. 'r.resamp.rst'

Bulent Arikan bulent.arikan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 13:41:45 EDT 2010

Hi,

I'd like to thank everyone for suggestions on my previous question about the
interpolation of DEMs from 30 to 10 m res. and  problems I had with
'v.surf.rst' module. I am still experimenting interpolation with it and i
hope to get a good interpolated DEM finally. Hamish suggested I use
'r.resamp.rst' instead and I did (with the default values). The results look
really impressive; it took equally long time for a single DEM (about 90
minutes). I used the resultant DEM to make slope and aspect maps; nothing
seems weird. I also used the mapcalc module to check the difference between
30m and 10m DEMs and it is within -1 and 1 m range. However, I used
'r.resamp.rst' on one imagery only.

So, I am writing to ask for suggestions about which module to use for 30m to
10m interpolation. I understand that 'v.surf.rst' and 'r.resamp.rst' use the
same approach (i.e., spline tension) but in different ways (which is not
surprising since GRASS offers a lot of alternative ways of manipulating
data) and given my limited experience with GIS, I will appreciate
suggestions from the more experienced users.

Thanks,

* I am running a slightly old version (late 2009) of GRASS 6.5 on Mac OS
10.5.8

--
BÜLENT ARIKAN
Arizona State University