[GRASS-user] v.net.iso - service area

Johannes Sommer Johann.online at gmx.de
Tue Apr 6 06:06:16 EDT 2010

Hi Richard and Daniel,

thanks for your answers. I don't think its as easy as building a convex hull around the endpoints of the networks segments.

Have a look at the picture example of v.hull [1] in the docs. A convex hull only connects the outer points of a point vector and doesn't care about "inner" points.
The service area should be somehow a convex hull including a connection of inner points. Imagine also not only one but more seed points from which the isolines in the network are created.
I think the delaunay triangulation [2] would fit better.
The problem here is that attributes (e.g. cat from v.net.iso) are lost when creating a delaunay triangulation from the endpoints of the network segments.
Thus I tried to intersect the network graph (from v.net.iso) with the triangles to get the values of the categories. But does not work either because the intersection returns to many triangles that only touch the end of the network segments but are not a real part of the service area.

I also tried a raster approach:
- Extract vertices from all lines of the result set from v.net.iso (3 classes)
- Interpolation between these points per Nearest Neighbor
- Conversion to polygons

But that's not really satisfying because it only comes close to the expected result.

I'm still searching to find any appropriate solution.

regards,
Johannes

[1] http://grass.itc.it/grass62/manuals/html62_user/v.hull.html
[2] http://grass.itc.it/grass62/manuals/html62_user/v.voronoi.html