[GRASS-user] r.surf.area units

Michael Grant m.grant at ee.wits.ac.za
Thu Apr 22 07:59:27 EDT 2010

Hi there,

I am quite new to Grass, but must admit it is very easy and intuitive to use.

The problem is this: I mask an area of an SRTM DTM by generating an area from
a vector and then a raster from the vector, and then work on that masked region.

If I use r.report I get a surface area very close to the published surface area.

However when I use r.surf.area I get nothing similar... not even close.  I
have even tried r.surf.area on the mask (i.e. flat, no topographic effects)
and come in at double the surface area from r.report

From r.surf.area, the Current Region plan area is 1e6 times smaller than the
cell count.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Mike Grant.