[GRASS-user] Extract coordinates of vertices/nodes

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 28 13:24:56 EDT 2010

2010/4/28 Micha Silver <micha at arava.co.il>

> On 04/28/2010 12:12 PM, Sophie Leguedois wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Being quite in Grass, I am trying to find  a way to extract geographic
>> coordinates of vertices and nodes (by the way I am struggling a little to
>> understand the differences between those two concepts) for polygons or
>>

> This might help:
> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Vectordata

In short, vertices are all the points that make up a line, a line may
consist of one or more vertices. In GRASS, nodes are the start and end
points of a line, so each line is linked to two nodes. These nodes are
used internally to maintain vector topology:
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/vectorintro.html
Section: Vector model and topology

>> lines. Do you have any idea how to proceed?
>>

> Probably with v.to.points -v

There is some useful information in the v.to.points manual about how
to link the extracted points to the original lines.

Markus M