[GRASS-user] Re: Installing r.area

Marcello Gorini gorini at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 10:11:41 EDT 2010

Hello Daniel,

I also wanted to use r.area, so I installed it but had an error, as posted
here
http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/New-modules-in-svn-add-on-r-area-and-r-convergence-td5161926.html#a5199839

Then afterwards Milton Ribeiro sent me another way to get the same results
in a rather fast way.

I don't want to interrupt your struggle to get r.area working, but if you
need some fast results, I believe you could try this alternative:

r.stats -na input=clumped_map | awk '{print $1,"=",int($2/10000)+1}' |
r.reclass input=clumped_map output=clumped_map_AreaHA - --o

The area is calculated in squared meters than converted to hectares by awk
(but you can probably change units within r.stats) than sent to r.reclass.

Hope this helps in anyway.

Cheers,

Marcello.