[GRASS-user] Opensource and pretty maps design anybody?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Aug 17 12:03:02 EDT 2010

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, kapo coulibaly wrote:

> I've been using opensource GIS for a while (GRASS a lot). But they are all
> very limited when it comes to creating nice maps. I always have to resolve
> to using ArcGIS to put final touches on maps. Anybody has a suggestion for
> a free software to use for map design?

   Sure: psmap within GRASS. Or you can use any of the graphic applications
such as the GIMP, dia, Inkscape, etc.

   I've found that psmap produces outstanding output at a specified scale. It
takes a while to grok all the options and you need to build a text file to
produce what you want (no clicking, dragging, or other GUI stuff), but you
can put what you want exactly where you want it. I suppose you could also
use PSTricks with it but I've not looked at doing so.

Rich