[GRASS-user] Planet coordinate systems?

L. Prevett prevettl at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 19:55:28 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Adam Dershowitz, Ph.D., P.E. <
adershowitz at exponent.com> wrote:

> I am interested if anyone has used GRASS with data from Mars, or any other
> non-earth based system?  I don't see any epsg codes that would apply.
> So, I am looking for some general ideas and guidance to get going.
> If anyone has used GRASS this way, please let me know about your
> experience, useful links, or other things that might be helpful to deal with
> some of the existing planetary data, and how to use it.

If you aren't aware of this project, take a look:

 http://isis.astrogeology.usgs.gov/

I'm sure you'll find some interesting ideas there.
As I understand it, ISIS 2 and ISIS 3 formats are compiled in GDAL by
default.

 http://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html

I got a reply from Hamish about this a while back:
I'm not doing anything with Isis, but it's easy to plot up MOLA data
with GRASS + NVIZ:
 http://bambi.otago.ac.nz/hamish/olympus_mons.html

A tutorial to do that is in GRASSNews Vol 1.
 http://grass.ibiblio.org/newsletter/index.php

Hope this helps,

L. Prevett