[GRASS-user] modis ocean and r.in.gdal

Gustavo gmpuljak at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Dec 2 17:04:09 EST 2010

Hi everyone,

I am trying to import some L3 MODIS satellite images into GRASS 6.4 by
following the instructions from:

http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/MODIS#Import

 I've tried method 1 and 2 but I got some error messages.
I've installed the grass6.5 snapshot from 27/11 and when run the following
command:

r.in.gdal -l -o in=HDF4_SDS:UNKNOWN:A2010021.L3m_DAY_NSST_4:0
out=A2010021.L3m_DAY_NSST_4

I got some errors:

WARNING: Map bounds have been constrained to geographic coordinates. You
         will almost certainly want to check map bounds and resolution with
         r.info and reset them with r.region before going any further.
WARNING: Over-riding projection check
ERROR 1: SDreaddata() failed for block.
ERROR 1: IReadBlock failed at X offset 0, Y offset 0
ERROR 1: GetBlockRef failed at X block offset 0, Y block offset 0
ERROR 1: SDreaddata() failed for block.
ERROR 1: IReadBlock failed at X offset 0, Y offset 1
ERROR 1: GetBlockRef failed at X block offset 0, Y block offset 1
ERROR 1: SDreaddata() failed for block.
.
.
.
ERROR 1: IReadBlock failed at X offset 0, Y offset 332
ERROR 1: GetBlockRef failed at X block offset 0, Y block offset 332
ERROR 1: SDreaddata() failed for block.
More than 1000 errors or warnings have been reported. No more will be reported
from now.
 100%
r.in.gdal complete. Raster map <A2010021.L3m_DAY_NSST_4> created.

When I loaded the raster and tried r.what, I got 0 everywhere.

What can I do?
Thanks,

Gustavo Martínez