[GRASS-user] What scripting language should I learn?

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 18:39:10 EST 2010

Hi,

Even though scripting helps a lot when doing repetitive works and some
specific procedures, you don't have to know how to write scripts to
use grass. If you are just starting into QGis, I'd recommend you jump
into grass first and learn the basics. After that you start to write
some simple code.

As for the language, I believe Python is the choice of most
developers. It's easy to learn and simple to code. I also used bash
scripting a lot but I believe it's specific to linux or MacOS, not
beeing portable to Win. also, I hear Grass 7 scripts should all be in
python.

Cheers
Daniel