[GRASS-user] Best operating system for GRASS

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Sat Dec 4 08:50:29 EST 2010

On 12/04/2010 03:03 PM, Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> Nikos A:
>

>>> For your favorite OS, how hard is it to learn for a guy like me who has
>>> always used Windows?
>>>
> Also, something very important. Before you buy a new system, to install any
> linux distro, verify that it works on your system. If you have already a
> system, chances are that it is supported. In both cases, try out the live-cd's
> or better live-usb's, check on forums and hardware compatibility databases.

I might add to Nikos' excellent answer the OSGeo Live DVD
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Quick_Start
where you can try out over 40 of the best open source software programs
on your current computer without making any changes to the system.

> Don't assume it works on everything. And don't reject it if it does not play
> nice with a specific machine. Rather, think about why the "closed" industry
> does not support open source drivers for their hardware.
>
> Nikos

Micha Silver
Arava Development Co. +972-52-3665918
http://www.surfaces.co.il