[GRASS-user] Landsat SLC-Off data usage

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Sat Dec 4 16:24:43 EST 2010

Nick Jachowski:

> I have been working a lot with SLC-Off imagery lately.  Some people in my
> department have used the gap filling programs floating around the net, but
> I'm not familiar with them personally.  I've settled on using r.patch as
> well, although you have to be careful how you apply it.  I found that even
> if I used radiometrically corrected landsat images (using i.landsat.toar)
> from the same season often the patched parts of the image did not fit
> smoothly with the rest of the image (i.e. you could see striations where
> the gaps had been).

Right. The same here. But I used the composites only for visual interpretation
which was ok. It's always interesting how different tasks pose different
challenges.

> I'm using the imagery for land classification, so
> I've found it works better if I do the classification on each landsat
> image separately and then patch them.  Using this method you can't tell
> where the former gaps are, at least in my experience working with imagery
> from the dry season in southeast asia.

Interesting. Yet, I guess, you had to use independent training areas (in case
you performed supervised classifications), right?

[...]

Nikos A