[GRASS-user] Re: GRASS-user] What scripting language should I, learn?

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Sat Dec 4 18:58:23 EST 2010

On 3/12/10 9:51 PM, grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 21:46:44 -0800 (PST)
> From: Catlike<cogreg at gmail.com>
> Subject: [GRASS-user] Re: GRASS-user] What scripting language should I
> 	learn?
> To:grass-user at lists.osgeo.org
>

> Thank you.
> Sad to say I am a Windows user. Your phrase "... at the command line..."
> puts fear in my heart. I had a DOS class in 1985...
> How would you recommend I start learning to use a command line? Is there a
> tutorial or set of lessons you recommend?
> And by the way -- what is your favorite operating system for working with
> GRASS?
> Again, thanks.
> http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/Re-GRASS-user-What-scripting-language-should-I-learn-tp5798712p5798762.html
> Sent from the Grass - Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
I haven't used Grass-GIS in Windows, however in other operating systems,
the command dialogs show the equivalent command line instructions at the
bottom, when you fill them in.

If you're going to script any of the Grass-GIS commands, you need to
have the command structure under your belt anyhow, and the best way to
learn it (superficially) is to learn how the functions work on the
command line.

I second other comments, that Linux is probably the best environment.
For eg, I find commands complete much quicker in Linux than under OSX
(the two operating systems I use).

Richard