[GRASS-user] Raster names under Linux

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Feb 2 19:26:32 EST 2010

Rich Shepard wrote:

> > ? underscores are fine.
>
> Hamish,
>
>    I responded off the top of my head, and it was the use of periods in file
> names (which I use liberally in regular file names) that caused GRASS to
> complain.

Odd. Those are fine too, and quite common (the spearfish dataset
contains several raster maps with periods).

Vector maps are limited to alphanumerics and underscores due to SQL.
That's something we could change easily enough, though. There's no
fundamental reason why the attribute table must have exactly the same
name as the map.