[GRASS-user] Raster names under Linux

Niels Thevs thevs at uni-greifswald.de
Wed Feb 3 01:50:05 EST 2010

Dear Glynn,

maybe the problem is the format of the hard disk. I use a partition
formatted in FAT32 for Windows and Linux. I will try the script opration
on the Linux partition.

Best regards

Niels

Glynn Clements schrieb:
> Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>>> I wrote a script for GRASS 6.4 under Ubuntu, in which I included the
>>> commands r.in.gdal and g.region rast=xxx. When runningthe script I
>>> received error messages illegal file name and character <not allowed. How
>>> could I overcome this problem ?
>> Niels,
>>
>>    Do the file names contain an underscore '_'? GRASS doesn't like that.
>> Hyphens ('-') seem to be OK.
>
> There are no problems with underscores in map names.
>
> [However, if you're writing a shell script, you need to bear in mind
> that underscores are allowed in variable names, so "$foo_bar" means
> the value of the variable named "foo_bar". If you want the value of
> the variable "foo" followed by the literal text "_bar", you need to
> put braces around the variable name, i.e. "${foo}_bar".]
>
> The characters which aren't allowed in map names, mapset names, etc
> are:
>
> 	/ " ' @ , = *
>
> plus space (32), control characters (< 32), delete (127), and 8-bit
> characters (>= 128).
>
> On Windows[1], the following characters are also prohibited:
>
> 	\ : ? < > |
>
> [1] The prohibition also applies when using DOS/Windows filesystems
> (FAT, VFAT, NTFS, SMBFS/CIFS) on e.g. Linux.
>
> In r.mapcalc, a map name needs to be quoted if it contains any of the
> following characters:

Dr. Niels Thevs
Institute of Botany and Landscape Ecology
Greifswald University
Grimmer Strasse 88
17487 Greifswald
Germany