[GRASS-user] Region Definition in GRASS

Pedro Roma pedroroma1982 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 12:16:36 EST 2010

Good Evening

I'm a kind of a new GRASS user and I'm a bit lost on regarding something.
REGION (or spatial extent).
For instance the Location North-Carolina. When the location was created a
certain extent, projkection a Spatial Resolution was defined. But, inside
this location there is a lot of data with different extent and regional
cover. And, inside GRASS I can re-define region properties (g.region) and
use a certain data to define region. And, it's possible to have a region
with a small extent than a vectorial that exists in the Location.
My question is, what is the region and what is its purpose? Because I don't
see any impact of region over my image/data processing or image
visualization. Or is it?

Thank you and I'm sorry for making such a "WIDE" question

Best regards
Pedro from Stocholm