[GRASS-user] What output from r.topidx?

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 11 10:32:00 EST 2010

Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Following the example on the r.topidx man page I ran the two following
> commands:
first, make sure the region is set properly with
g.region rast=aberDEM -p

if cells in house_catchment outside the catchment of interest are NULL,
you can do

g.region zoom=house_catchment
g.region align=aberDEM

to reduce the region and thus computational time and memory requirements
before running r.mapcalc and r.topidx

> r.mapcalc "house_elev = if (isnull(aberDEM), aberDEM, house_catchment)"
doesn't make sense to me, and does not correspond to the example in the
man page. try
r.mapcalc "house_elev = if (isnull(house_catchment), null(), aberDEM)"

you need some elevation map as input for r.topidx, house_elev will now
be a masked raster elevation map, if cells in house_catchment outside
the catchment of interest are NULL. if they are e.g. zero, the command
would be
r.mapcalc "house_elev = if (house_catchment == 0, null(), aberDEM)"

if cells in house_catchment outside the catchment of interest are NULL,
you could also
g.copy rast=house_catchment,MASK

or if cells in house_catchment outside the catchment of interest are
something else than NULL, you could do
r.mapcalc "MASK = if(house_catchment == <my_mask_value>, null(), 1)"

and now run r.topidx

obviously all this only works if aberDEM covers at least some parts of
the catchment of interest in house_catchment