[GRASS-user] weird r.thin output

sidtupper sid at sidtupper.ca
Fri Feb 12 13:44:54 EST 2010

I'm trying to digitize a paper map of an island.  I've decomposed a scan of
it into layers, one layer per file.  One of the layers, polygons
representing the high tide line, is a greyscale jpeg file with just two
colours (0, 255).  Imported into GRASS 6.3 (Linux 2.31.6 kernel) and
processed with r.thin, after 429 iterations it becomes a mess of horizonal,
vertical and 45 degree straight lines.

In case these files would be helpful to see what's going on, I attach them.
The input file is
http://n2.nabble.com/file/n4562787/hermit-hightide-2colour.jpg
hermit-hightide-2colour.jpg  and the exported output is
http://n2.nabble.com/file/n4562787/hightide-thin.png hightide-thin.png .

I hope someone can tell me what I'm doing wrongly.  Thanks.