[GRASS-user] Re: grass-user Digest, Vol 46, Issue 35

Jed jedfrechette at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 13:34:24 EST 2010

Michael Barton wrote:

> TIN's are a way of creating an elevation surface using vector polygons
> rather than rasters. When computers had slow processors, primitive
> displays, limited RAM, and limited disk space, they were a way of getting
> elevation in a way that optimized hardware limitations. They did so at a
> cost of resolution and simplicity of analysis/processing.

I'm curious why you say TINs are used at the "cost of resolution"? What if I
have a surface sampled by a dense irregularly spaced point data set, e.g. a
lidar point cloud. If I create a TIN using a delaunay triangulation of those
points the resulting model will exactly pass through all of the original
data points with linear interpolations between. As a result it resolves all
of the detail in the original data. In contrast, if I use a raster map to
model the surface it will inevitably lead to some degree of aggregation as a
function of the interpolation method I choose. The same is true if I want to
incorporate linear features such as breaklines into the model. Of course,
the question of which type of model is more useful for a given application
is entirely separate.

Best,

--
Jed Frechette