Fwd: [GRASS-user] I.class empty Xmonitor

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 18 06:44:14 EST 2010

Hamish:
> see http://bugs.debian.org/grass for a gnome-terminal issue)

Luisa wrote:
> I'm not using Debian but Ubuntu 9.10.

(Ubuntu mostly uses automatically-rebuilt debian packages, so debian
bugs become bugs in ubuntu too)

> I have xterm,  xvt, gnome-terminal and ncurses-base.
> iS it necessary xtermcontrol or xtermset?

No; at least I don't think so.

> Besides i.class, the same happens with
> i.ortho.photo I mean, it's not available.

ah, ok. For the beta of the OSGeo live-dvd I have xUbuntu 9.10 on a
bootable USB stick so I can test. Yes, I get the same problem.

I notice in the main layer manager window "Command output" tab is this
error:

Exception in thread Thread-8:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/threading.py", line 525, in
__bootstrap_inner
    self.run()
  File "/usr/lib/grass64/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/gcmd.py",
line 530, in run
    stderr=subprocess.PIPE)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 621, in
__init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 1126, in
_execute_child
    raise child_exception
TypeError: execv() arg 2 must contain only strings
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/grass64/etc/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 1035,
in OnXTerm

p = gcmd.Command(cmdlist)
  File "/usr/lib/grass64/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/gcmd.py",
line 348, in __init__

(' '.join(cmd), wait, self.returncode,
self.cmdThread.isAlive()))
TypeError
:
sequence item 2: expected string, list found

This is with version 6.4.0~rc5-3~karmic1 from UbuntuGIS's launchpad.ppa
repository. Are you using the same?

basically 6.4.0rc5 is about 6 months old now and this is almost certainly
already fixed since then. the fix is going to be us releasing 6.4.0rc6,
and then the various distro teams packaging that. I don't know when that
will be, but I can only say that we are making good progress right now
and I hope it will happen very soon.

> Regarding « d.mon x0; i.class » command, is it
> possible to have a wxpython GUI menu with that command?

that's essentially what the existing menu item does. (or is supposed to
be doing)

> (I will have non-experience users using i.class).

fair enough.

Hamish