[GRASS-user] Language of installed manual

Luigi Ponti lponti at infinito.it
Fri Feb 19 12:29:57 EST 2010

On 19/02/2010 16:33, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2010/2/18 Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>:
>
> [...]
>

>> The default locale is "C", which behaves the same as if no locale is
>> set (i.e. no call to setlocale()).
>>
>> LC_ALL takes precedence over the individual LC_* variables and LANG,
>> so you may need to use:
>>
>>        export LC_ALL=C
>>

> I have already tried to put `LC_ALL=C` to package.sh and recompile
> GRASS, but it didn't seem to help (module --interface-description
> still returns localized text).
>
> Martin

Thanks Martin. Just to detail further my report, in case it is useful
(sorry if redundant):

Installed last available WinGRASS-6.4.SVN-r41105-1-Setup.exe of 19 February.

If I do for example:

r.colors --interface-description

what is get is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="CP1252"?>
<!DOCTYPE task SYSTEM "grass-interface.dtd">
<task name="r.colors">
    <description>
        Creates/modifies the color table associated with a raster map layer.
    </description>
    <keywords>
        raster, color table
    </keywords>
    <parameter name="map" type="string" required="no" multiple="no">
        <description>
            Nome della mappa raster in input
        </description>
        <keydesc>
            <item order="1">name</item>
        </keydesc>
        <gisprompt age="old" element="cell" prompt="raster" />
        <guisection>
            Required
        </guisection>
    </parameter>
    [...]
</task>

You can see there is English description plus some Italian text
depending on how far the translator got. It is the same text I get in
the g.parser GUI when invoking r.colors without arguments. I think this
is fine since I have an Italian locale. However, the HTML manual page of
r.colors is a partial Czech translation.

Kind regards,

Luigi